Versatile Vegetable Soup
- 2 leeks, thinly sliced (white part only)
- 1 1/2 teaspoons bottled minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 8 cups water
- 1 14.5-ounce can stewed tomatoes, undrained
- 2 cups sliced celery
- 1 1/2 cups thinly sliced carrot
- 1 medium red apple, cored and coarsely chopped
- 1 medium sweet potato, peeled and cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 4 teaspoons instant vegetable bouillon granules or vegetable bouillon cubes (to make 4 cups broth)
- 2 cups shredded cabbage
- 1 cup cut green beans
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/2 cup snipped parsley
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- In a Dutch oven cook leeks and garlic in hot oil 3 minutes.
- Add the water, undrained tomatoes, celery, carrot, apple, sweet potato, and bouillon.
- Simmer, covered, for 15 minutes.
- Add cabbage, green beans, salt, and pepper.
- Return to boiling, reduce heat and simmer, covered, 10 minutes.
- Stir in parsley and lemon juice.