- 1 cup chopped sweet onion
- 1 cup coarsely chopped carrot
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon olive oil or vegetable oil
- 1 32-ounce carton reduced-sodium or regular chicken or beef broth
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 9-ounce package refrigerated four-cheese tortellini
- 1/2 16-ounce package (16) frozen cooked Italian-style meatballs
- 1 teaspoon dried Italian seasoning, crushed
- 3 cups chopped spinach or half of a 10-ounce package frozen chopped spinach, thawed and drained
- 3 tablespoons chopped roasted red sweet pepper
- Ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon snipped basil
- In a Dutch oven cook onion, carrot, and garlic in hot oil over medium heat for 3 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add broth and the water.
- Bring to boiling.
- Stir in tortellini, meatballs, and Italian seasoning.
- Return to boiling, reduce heat and simmer, uncovered, for 4 minutes.
- Stir in spinach and roasted sweet pepper.
- Simmer, uncovered, 3 minutes more.
- Season to taste with salt and black pepper.
- Before serving, stir in basil.