Tomato Rice With Crispy Cheddar
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 small yellow onion, finely chopped
- 1 small Indian green chile or serrano chile, finely chopped
- 10 medium Roma tomatoes, diced into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 3 cups cooked basmati rice
- 1 cup shredded sharp white cheddar cheese
- Preheat the oven to 500 F.
- In a large pan over medium-high heat, warm the oil.
- Once the oil begins to shimmer, add the onion and chile, spread them out in an even layer in the pan, and cook, 5 to 7 minutes.
- Increase the heat to high and add the tomatoes.
- Cook, stirring occasionally, 5 to 6 minutes, then add the salt.
- Put the cooked rice in an 8-inch square baking dish, then fold in the tomato sauce.
- Evenly distribute the grated cheese over the top.
- Switch the oven to broil and place the baking dish on the top oven rack.
- Broil for about 3 minutes.
- Serve immediately.