Tomato-Garlic Soup With Fennel
- 1 fennel bulb
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 onion, quartered and thinly sliced
- 10 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 28-ounce can diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 14.5-ounce can reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1 8-ounce can tomato sauce
- 1 cup hot-style vegetable juice or regular vegetable juice
- 1 teaspoon dried basil or Italian seasoning, crushed
- Reserve some of the feathery fennel tops to garnish the soup.
- Cut off and discard upper stalks of fennel.
- Remove any wilted outer layers.
- Cut off and discard a thin slice from fennel base.
- Quarter the bulb lengthwise.
- Discard core.
- Chop fennel.
- In a Dutch oven heat oil and butter over medium-high heat.
- Add chopped fennel, onion, and garlic.
- Reduce heat to medium-low.
- Cook, covered, 25 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Cook, uncovered, over medium-high heat for 3 to 5 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Add remaining ingredients and simmer, covered, for 15 minutes.
- Garnish each serving with the reserved fennel tops.