Sweet And Spicy Carnitas
- 3 1/2 pounds boneless pork shoulder roast, such as pork butt or blade
- 2 tsp brown sugar
- 1 tsp ancho chile pepper
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 1 tsp coarse salt
- 1 tsp white pepper
- 1 tsp dried cilantro
- 1/2 tsp cumin
- 1/2 tsp coriander
- 1/2 tsp red pepper flakes
- 8 ounces Coke or water
- 8 ounces water
- 2 oranges, juiced
- 2 limes, juiced
- 3 cloves garlic
- Toppings (optional) -1 package of corn or flour tortillas, 1-2 tomatoes (cut into small chunks), 1/2 red onion (diced), 1/2 bunch of green onions (diced), an avocado (sliced thinly), cilantro leaves, salsa, lettuce (shredded)
- Mix all the dry ingredients and coat the pork roast in a slow cooker.
- Pour orange and lime juice on roast.
- Add the garlic.
- Cover and cook for 9 to 10 hours.
- Pull apart meat and cook in an oiled frying pan over medium-high heat for 3-5 minutes.
- Remove from heat and transfer to a bowl.
- Meanwhile, prepare any optional toppings you plan to serve, except for the avocado.
- Heat tortillas in the microwave for 30 to 45 seconds, or warm them on a pan.
- Serve meat on tortilla and add toppings.