Shrimp And Swiss Chard Soup With Arborio Rice
- 1 pound fresh or frozen medium shrimp in shells
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 russet potatoes, peeled and cut into 1/4-inch cubes
- 1 cup shredded carrot
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 4 14-ounce cans reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 12 ounces Swiss chard, stems removed and cut into 1/2-inch strips (6 cups)
- 3/4 cup Arborio rice
- 1 tablespoon snipped fresh oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon ground black pepper
- Thaw shrimp, if frozen.
- Peel and devein shrimp.
- Cut shrimp in half lengthwise.
- Rinse shrimp and pat dry.
- In a Dutch oven heat oil over medium-high heat.
- Add potatoes and cook 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Stir in carrot.
- Cook and stir 3 minutes.
- Stir in tomato paste.
- Cook and stir for 1 minute.
- Add broth and simmer, covered, for 30 minutes.
- Stir in Swiss chard and rice.
- Simmer, covered, 15 minutes or just until rice is tender.
- Stir in shrimp, oregano, salt, and pepper.
- Simmer, covered, for 2 minutes.