Sherried Salmon Bisque
- 12 ounces fresh or frozen salmon fillets or steaks, cut 3/4 inch thick
- 3 cups sliced stemmed shiitake or other mushrooms
- 3/4 cup thinly sliced leek or 1/2 cup thinly sliced green onion
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 14-ounce can chicken broth or vegetable broth
- 1 1/2 teaspoons snipped dill or 1/2 teaspoon dried dill
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Pinch ground black pepper
- 2 cups half-and-half or light cream
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons dry sherry
- Dill sprigs (optional)
- Thaw salmon, if frozen.
- Rinse salmon and pat dry.
- Discard salmon skin and bones.
- Cut salmon into 1/2-inch pieces.
- In a saucepan cook mushrooms and leek in hot butter until tender.
- Stir in broth, dill, salt, and pepper.
- Bring to boiling.
- In a bowl combine half-and-half and cornstarch.
- Stir into mushroom mixture.
- Cook and stir over medium heat until thickened and bubbly.
- Add salmon and simmer, covered, 4 minutes.
- Gently stir in sherry.
- Garnish with dill.