Puttanesca Turkey Stew
- 2 pounds skinless turkey drumsticks (1 1/2 pounds)
- 1 28-ounce can plum tomatoes, undrained
- 1 8-ounce can tomato sauce
- 1/2 cup finely chopped red onion
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1/4 cup pitted green olives, halved
- 3 tablespoons drained capers
- 1/2 teaspoon dried Italian seasoning
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- Dash bottled hot pepper sauce
- 1/4 cup dry red wine
- Grated Parmesan cheese (optional)
- In a slow cooker combine all ingredients except wine and cheese.
- Cover and cook on low for 7 1/2 hours.
- Once turkey reaches the proper temperature (160 F to 170 F on an instant-read thermometer inserted into the thickest part of drumstick without touching bone), transfer turkey drumsticks to platter and let cool.
- Stir red wine into mixture in slow cooker.
- Crush tomatoes in slow cooker with a spoon.
- Turn to high setting.
- Cook, uncovered, for 20 minutes.
- Chop meat from bones and return to cooker.
- Cook, uncovered, for 5 to 10 minutes.
- Sprinkle each serving with cheese.