- 1 cup whole masoor dal
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- 2 tablespoons ghee or olive oil
- 2 teaspoons cumin seeds
- 2 dried red chiles
- Pinch of red chile powder
- Pinch of asafetida (optional)
- In a pot over high heat, combine the lentils, bay leaf, turmeric, salt, and 4 cups water and bring the water to a boil.
- Reduce the heat to medium-high, give the lentils a stir, and insert a large long-handled spoon into the pot.
- Cook with the spoon still inserted, 20 to 30 minutes.
- Remove from the heat and let sit for 15 minutes.
- Add the lime juice and set aside.
- Add the seasoning to the cooked dal and mix thoroughly.