- 1 28-ounce package frozen diced hash brown potatoes with onions and peppers
- 3 cups fat-free half-and-half
- 1 cup chopped miniature sweet peppers
- 1 cup water
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon curry powder
- 1/8 to 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper or ground black pepper
- 1 1/2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- Sliced miniature sweet peppers (optional)
- Snipped parsley (optional)
- Combine all ingredients except cheese, pepper and parsley.
- Bring just to boiling.
- Reduce heat to medium.
- Cook, covered, for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Cool slightly.
- Transfer 3 cups of the potato mixture to a blender.
- Add the remaining 1/2 cup water.
- Cover and blend until nearly smooth.
- Return to Dutch oven.
- Cook and stir until mixture is heated through and potatoes are tender.
- Stir in cheese.
- Cook and stir over low heat until cheese is melted.
- Top each serving with sliced sweet peppers and parsley.