- Nonstick cooking spray
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 leek, chopped
- 5 cups frozen whole-kernel corn
- 2 14-ounce cans reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 3/4 cup chopped red sweet pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 3 threads saffron (optional)
- Snipped chives and/or ground black pepper (optional)
- Coat a 4-quart Dutch oven with nonstick cooking spray.
- Heat over medium heat for 1 minute.
- Add onion and leek and cook for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add frozen corn and cook for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add 1 can of the broth and simmer, covered, 20 minutes.
- Transfer half the corn mixture to a blender and blend until smooth.
- Return pureed corn mixture to Dutch oven.
- Add the remaining ingredients except chives/pepper.
- Heat through.
- Top with snipped chives and/or additional black pepper.