Oriental Hot-And-Sour Soup
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 1 8-ounce can bamboo shoots, drained
- 1 8-ounce can sliced water chestnuts, drained
- 1 4-ounce can sliced mushrooms, drained
- 3 tablespoons quick-cooking tapioca
- 3 tablespoons rice wine vinegar or vinegar
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 8-ounce package frozen peeled and deveined shrimp
- 4 ounces firm tofu, (bean curd), drained and cubed
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 2 tablespoons snipped parsley or coriander
- In a slow cooker combine all ingredients except shrimp, tofu, egg and parsley.
- Cover and cook on low for 9 to 11 hours or on high for 3 to 4 hours.
- Add shrimp and tofu.
- Cover and cook on low setting or high for 50 minutes.
- Pour the beaten egg slowly into the soup in a thin stream.
- Stir the soup gently so that the egg forms fine strands and does not clump.
- Sprinkle with parsley.