Northwest Salmon Chowder
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 2 cups assorted frozen vegetables
- 2 tablespoons seeded and finely chopped jalapeno peppers (optional)
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 cups milk
- 1 cup half-and-half or light cream
- 2 cups frozen hash brown potatoes with onions and peppers, thawed
- 12 to 14 ounces cooked, skinned salmon, flaked.
- Or 14.5-ounce can salmon, drained, flaked, and cartilage removed
- 1/4 cup snipped parsley
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- In a saucepan heat butter over medium heat until melted.
- Add frozen vegetables and chile peppers and cook for 3 to 5 minutes.
- Stir in flour.
- Gradually stir in milk and half-and-half.
- Cook and stir until slightly thickened and bubbly.
- Cook and stir for 1 minute.
- Stir in remaining ingredients and heat through.