Mixed Tomato Soup
- 3 ounces dried tomatoes (not oil-packed)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil or vegetable oil
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1/4 teaspoon coarsely ground black pepper
- 8 tomatoes, chopped (2 1/2 pounds)
- 4 cups water
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup whipping cream
- Place dried tomatoes in a bowl.
- Add enough boiling water to cover.
- Let stand for 30 minutes.
- Drain and rinse.
- Coarsely chop rehydrated tomatoes.
- In a Dutch oven heat oil over medium heat.
- Add rehydrated tomatoes, onion, and pepper and cook until onion is tender.
- Reserve 3/4 cup of tomatoes.
- Add remaining chopped tomatoes to onion mixture and cook, covered, over low heat 20 minutes.
- Add the water and salt and cook, uncovered, over low heat for 40 minutes, stirring often.
- Transfer mixture in batches to a food processor or blender.
- Cover and process or blend until smooth.
- Return pureed mixture to Dutch oven.
- Heat to simmering.
- Stir in whipping cream.
- Return just to simmering.
- Remove from heat.
- Top each serving with the reserved chopped tomatoes.