Lemony Lentil Soup With Greens
- 2 teaspoons canola oil
- 1/3 cup chopped onion (1 small)
- 1/2 cup chopped carrot
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 12 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth, plus more as needed
- 1 1-pound package green lentils
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 8 cups chopped kale leaves
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon finely grated lemon zest
- In a pot heat oil over medium-high heat.
- Add onion and cook for 3 to 5 minutes.
- Add carrot, celery, and garlic and cook covered, stirring occasionally, for 5 minutes.
- Add 12 cups broth, lentils, basil, thyme, and salt.
- Bring to boiling.
- Reduce heat.
- Add kale and simmer, covered, for 30 to 35 minutes, adding additional broth if necessary.
- Stir in lemon juice and top with lemon zest before serving.