- 6 medium leeks, thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons olive oil or vegetable oil
- 3 pounds potatoes, peeled and sliced
- 3 14-ounce cans reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 2 teaspoons finely shredded lemon zest
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground white pepper
- 4 cups buttermilk
- 1 8-ounce carton fat-free or light sour cream
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- Lemon wedges (optional)
- In a Dutch oven cook leeks in hot oil until tender.
- Remove half of the leeks.
- Transfer to a small container.
- Cover and chill.
- Add potatoes, broth, lemon zest, salt, and white pepper to leeks in Dutch oven and simmer, covered, 15 minutes.
- Transfer potato mixture in small batches to a blender and blend until smooth.
- Transfer pureed mixture to a very large container.
- Stir in buttermilk.
- Cover and chill for 8 to 48 hours.
- Ladle into appetizer-size soup cups or bowls.
- Combine sour cream and lemon juice in a bowl.
- Dollop a small spoonful of the sour cream mixture onto each serving.
- Top with chilled leek slices.
- Serve with lemon wedges.