Leek-Gruyere Cream Soup
- 6 cups chicken broth
- 4 cups sliced leek
- 1 cup sliced mushrooms
- 1 teaspoon dried fines herbes, crushed
- 1/2 teaspoon ground white pepper
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 cups shredded Gruyere cheese
- 2 tablespoons snipped parsley
- 1 cup whipping cream
- Thinly sliced leek (optional)
- Combine 4 cups of the broth, 4 cups leek, mushrooms, fines herbes, and pepper.
- Simmer, covered, for 10 to 15 minutes then cool slightly.
- Transfer leek mixture, one-third at a time, to a blender and blend until smooth.
- Return pureed mixture to Dutch oven.
- Stir in 1 cup of the remaining broth.
- In a bowl stir together remaining 1 cup of broth and flour until smooth.
- Stir into leek mixture in Dutch oven.
- Stir in cheese and parsley.
- Cook and stir over medium-low heat until slightly thickened and bubbly and cheese melts.
- Stir in whipping cream.
- Heat through, but do not boil.
- Garnish with additional sliced leeks.