Lamb And Orzo Soup With Spinach
- 2 1/2 pounds lamb shanks
- 4 cups water
- 4 cups chicken or vegetable broth
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 tablespoon snipped fresh oregano or 1 teaspoon dried oregano, crushed
- 1 1/2 teaspoons snipped marjoram or 1/2 teaspoon dried marjoram, crushed
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 2 carrots, cut into julienne strips (1 cup)
- 1 cup sliced celery
- 3/4 cup dried orzo
- 3 cups torn spinach or 1/2 of a 10-ounce package frozen chopped spinach, thawed and well drained
- Finely shredded Parmesan cheese (optional)
- Combine lamb shanks, the water, broth, bay leaves, oregano, marjoram, salt, and pepper.
- Simmer, covered, for 1 1/4 to 1 1/2 hours.
- Remove meat from soup.
- Set aside to cool.
- Strain broth using two layers of cheesecloth.
- Discard herbs.
- Skim fat from broth.
- Return broth to Dutch oven.
- Chop meat off bones and stir chopped meat, carrots, celery, and orzo into soup.
- Return to boiling, reduce heat and simmer, covered, 15 minutes.
- Stir in spinach.
- Cook for 1 to 2 minutes.
- Serve with Parmesan cheese.