Kale, Lentil, And Chicken Soup
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 cup coarsely chopped carrot
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 6 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1 tablespoon snipped basil or 1 teaspoon dried basil, crushed
- 4 cups coarsely chopped kale
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 1/2 cups cubed cooked chicken
- 1 medium tomato, seeded and chopped
- 1/2 cup dried red lentils
- In a large saucepan heat oil over medium-low heat.
- Add onion, carrot, and garlic and cook, covered, for 5 to 7 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add broth and dried basil (if using) and simmer, covered, for 10 minutes.
- Stir in kale, salt, and pepper.
- Return to boiling, reduce heat and simmer, covered, for 10 minutes.
- Stir in remaining ingredients and simmer, covered, for 5 to 10 minutes.