Kaddu (Sweet-And-Sour Butternut Squash)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon fenugreek seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1 small yellow onion, finely diced
- 1/2 teaspoon red chile powder
- 1/4 teaspoon asafetida (optional)
- 2 tablespoons minced ginger
- 1 large butternut squash, peeled, seeded, and cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- 4 medium Roma tomatoes, diced into 1/2-inch pieces
- 2 tablespoons light brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons chopped cilantro, for garnish
- In a pan over medium heat, warm the oil.
- Once the oil begins to shimmer, add the fenugreek seeds and cook for a few seconds.
- Reduce the heat to medium-low and swirl in the turmeric.
- Add the onion and saute, 3 to 4 minutes.
- Add the chile powder, asafetida (if using), and ginger and cook for 1 minute, then add the butternut squash and salt.
- Cover and cook, 10 to 15 minutes.
- Stir in the lime juice, tomatoes, and brown sugar.
- Reduce the heat to low, cover, and cook, about 5 minutes more.
- Remove from the heat.
- Taste and adjust the lime juice and salt if needed.
- Garnish with the cilantro before serving.