- 1 pound fresh or frozen peeled and deveined shrimp (thawed if frozen)
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1/3 cup chopped celery
- 1/4 cup chopped green sweet pepper
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1 14.5-ounce can diced tomatoes, undrained
- 8 ounces andouille or kielbasa sausage, halved lengthwise and cut into 1/2-inch slices
- 3/4 cup long-grain rice
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme, crushed
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil, crushed
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 bay leaf
- 4 ounces cooked boneless ham, cut into bite-size cubes (1 cup)
- In a 12-inch skillet heat oil over medium heat.
- Add onion, celery, sweet pepper, and garlic and cook and stir for 5 minutes.
- Stir in remaining ingredients except shrimp and ham.
- Simmer, covered, for 15 minutes.
- Stir in shrimp.
- Return to boiling, reduce heat and simmer, covered, 5 minutes.
- Stir in ham.
- Heat through.
- Discard bay leaf.