- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 teaspoon whole black peppercorns
- 2 small Indian green chiles or serrano chiles, finely chopped
- 1 medium yellow onion, finely diced
- 1 medium zucchini, diced into 1/2-inch pieces
- 2 medium Roma tomatoes, diced into 1/2-inch pieces
- 2 16-ounce cans cannellini or great northern beans, drained
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped rosemary
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 cup stale sourdough bread
- Pitted kalamata olives, chopped, for garnish
- Shaved or grated Parmesan cheese, for garnish
- In a pot or Dutch oven over medium-low heat, warm the oil.
- Once the oil begins to shimmer, add the peppercorns and chiles.
- Cook, stirring, for 1 minute, then increase the heat to medium-high and add the onion.
- Cook, 5 to 7 minutes.
- Reduce the heat to medium, add the zucchini and tomatoes, and cook, 8 to 10 minutes.
- Add the beans, rosemary, garlic, salt, ground black pepper, and 4 cups water, increase the heat to high, and bring the soup to a boil.
- Then reduce the heat to low, mash the beans lightly, cover, and cook for 10 minutes.
- Right at the end of the cooking time, stir in the bread.
- Taste and adjust the salt if needed.
- Serve in bowls and garnish with rosemary, the olives, Parmesan, and a drizzle of olive oil.