Hot Burgundy Punch
- 1/4 cup Sugar
- 1 1/2 cups Boiling Water
- Peel of 1/2 Lemon
- 1 Cinnamon Stick
- 5 Cloves
- 1/2 tsp. Ground Allspice
- one cup Apple Juice
- 1 bottle (750-ml) Red Burgundy Wine (or Pinot Noir)
- In large saucepan, dissolve sugar in boiling water.
- Add lemon peel, cinnamon, cloves, allspice, and apple juice.
- Cook over moderately high heat for 15 minutes.
- Strain into another sauce-pan and add wine.
- Simmer over low heat but do not boil.
- Serve hot in Irish coffee glasses with a sprinkle of fresh-grated nutmeg on top.