Hearty Pork-Beer Stew
- 1 pound boneless pork shoulder roast
- Nonstick cooking spray
- 2 large sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into 1-inch pieces
- 3 medium parsnips, peeled and cut into 3/4-inch slices
- 2 small green apples, cut into wedges
- 1 medium onion, cut into thin wedges
- 3 cups vegetable broth or chicken broth
- 1 tablespoon packed brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon Dijon-style mustard
- 1 1/2 teaspoons dried thyme, crushed
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 12-ounce can beer or 1 1/2 cups vegetable broth or chicken broth
- 4 large roma tomatoes, cut up
- Trim fat from meat.
- Cut meat into 3/4-inch pieces.
- Lightly coat a skillet with cooking spray.
- Heat skillet over medium-high heat.
- Add meat and cook until brown.
- Transfer meat to a slow cooker.
- Add all remaining ingredients except tomatoes and mix well.
- Cover and cook on low for 7 to 8 hours or on high for 3 1/2 to 4 hours.
- Stir in tomatoes.