Hearty Onion-Lentil Soup
- 4 cups water
- 2 10.5-ounce cans condensed French onion soup
- 2 cups sliced celery (4 stalks) or carrot
- 1 cup lentils
- 6 3/4-inch slices crusty country French bread, toasted
- 1 cup shredded Swiss or Gruyere cheese
- In a slow cooker combine the water, condensed French onion soup, celery, and lentils.
- Cover and cook on low for 6 to 8 hours or on high for 3 to 4 hours.
- Before serving, preheat broiler.
- Arrange toasted bread slices on a baking sheet.
- Sprinkle with cheese.
- Broil 3 to 4 inches from the heat for 2 to 3 minutes.
- Divide cheese-topped bread among 6 soup bowls.
- Ladle soup over bread.