German Potato-Sausage Soup
- 12 ounces bulk turkey sausage
- 8 ounces mushrooms, sliced
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1/2 cup chopped celery
- 1 teaspoon caraway seeds, crushed
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 3/4 cups reduced-sodium beef broth
- 1/2 cup light beer, nonalcoholic beer, or reduced-sodium beef broth
- 2 potatoes, cubed
- 1 cup small broccoli florets
- 2 cups shredded cabbage
- 1 1/2 cups fat-free milk
- In a Dutch oven cook sausage, mushrooms, onion, and celery over medium heat until sausage is brown, breaking up sausage as it cooks.
- Drain fat.
- Add caraway seeds and pepper to sausage mixture in Dutch oven.
- Add broth and beer.
- Bring to boiling.
- Add potatoes and simmer, covered, for 10 minutes.
- Add broccoli and simmer, covered, 5 minutes.
- Stir cabbage and milk into sausage-broccoli mixture.
- Cook for 2 to 3 minutes or just until cabbage is tender and soup is heated through.