- 2 medium fennel bulbs, washed (2 pounds)
- 6 medium potatoes, peeled and cubed (2 pounds)
- 4 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1/3 cup butter or margarine
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon caraway seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 2 cups cultured buttermilk or milk
- 2 1/2 cups chopped cooked chicken
- Rye croutons (optional)
- Snip 1/4 cup of the leafy tops from fennel bulbs.
- Cut off and discard upper stalks of fennel.
- Remove any wilted outer layers.
- Cut off and discard a thin slice from fennel base.
- Halve, core, and chop fennel.
- Combine fennel, potatoes, and broth in a Dutch oven.
- Simmer, covered, for 15 to 20 minutes.
- Drain, reserving broth.
- Mash in a bowl with a potato masher.
- Meanwhile, in the same pot, melt butter over medium heat.
- Stir in flour, caraway seeds, and pepper.
- Add buttermilk and cook and stir until slightly thickened and bubbly.
- Cook 1 minute.
- Stir in mashed potato and fennel mixture, chicken, snipped fennel tops, and broth.
- Cook and stir until heated through.
- If necessary, stir in additional broth to achieve desired consistency.
- Top each serving with rye croutons and additional leafy fennel tops.