Fennel And Leek Soup
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 3 fennel bulbs, trimmed, cored, and thinly sliced
- 2 leeks, sliced
- 2 tablespoons dry sherry, vermouth, or white wine
- 3 14.5-ounce cans vegetable broth or chicken broth
- 1 pound russet potatoes, peeled and cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 teaspoon snipped thyme or 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme, crushed
- Cracked black pepper
- Sauteed sliced leek (optional)
- In a Dutch oven heat butter and oil over medium heat.
- Add fennel and 2 sliced leeks and cook 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add sherry.
- Cook and stir 2 minutes.
- Add broth and potatoes.
- Simmer, covered, 30 minutes and cool slightly.
- Transfer fennel mixture in batches to a blender and blend until smooth.
- Return pureed mixture to Dutch oven.
- Stir in thyme.
- Heat through.
- Season to taste with salt.
- Sprinkle each sercing with pepper and garnish with additional sauteed leeks.