Dairy-Free (But Just As Good) Queso
- 1 cup raw cashews
- 1/2 cup nondairy milk
- 1/4 cup nutritional yeast
- 1/2 teaspoon finely ground sea salt
- 1/4 cup avocado oil
- 1 medium yellow onion, sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, roughly chopped
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 3/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano leaves
- 1/8 teaspoon paprika
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 3 1/2 ounces pork rinds, or 2 medium zucchinis, cut into sticks, for serving (optional)
- Place the cashews in a sealable container.
- Cover with water.
- Seal and place in the fridge to soak for 12 hours.
- After 12 hours, drain and rinse the cashews, then place them in a food processor or blender along with the milk, nutritional yeast, and salt.
- Set aside.
- Heat the oil in a frying pan over medium-low heat until shimmering.
- Add the onion, garlic, and spices and toss to coat the onion with the seasonings.
- Stir the mixture every couple of minutes until the onion begins to soften for 10 minutes.
- Transfer the onion mixture to the food processor or blender.
- Cover and blend until smooth.
- Serve with pork rinds or zucchini sticks.