- 4 cups organic whole milk
- 1/4 cup full-fat plain yogurt
- Evenly coat the bottom of a Dutch oven or pot with a thin layer of water.
- Set the pot over high heat and add the milk.
- Heat the milk until it just comes to a boil.
- Take the pot off the heat when bubbles start forming.
- Let the milk cool, 30 to 35 minutes.
- Cover the bottom of a 1-quart container with 1 teaspoon of the yogurt.
- When the milk has cooled, add the rest of the yogurt to the milk and stir with a whisk or spoon for 3 minutes to make sure the yogurt has completely dissolved into the milk.
- Pour the milk-yogurt mixture into the container and loosely cover the top.
- Place the container inside an unheated oven with the oven light on and let sit for 2 1/2 hours.
- Check that the yogurt is set, not liquid, but still jiggles.
- If it's not yet set, leave it in the oven for 1 to 5 1/2 hours.
- When the yogurt is done, place it in the fridge to chill and fully set overnight before using.