Curry-Ginger Lentil Soup
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon grated ginger
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 14-ounce cans vegetable broth or 3 1/2 cups homemade vegetable stock
- 2 cups cubed, peeled sweet potato
- 2 cups chopped tomato
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup brown lentils
- 1 tablespoon curry powder
- Plain yogurt or sour cream (optional)
- In a Dutch oven heat oil.
- Add onion, chile pepper, ginger, and garlic and cook and stir over medium heat until tender.
- Add remaining ingredients except yogurt and simmer, covered, for 25 to 30 minutes.
- Top each serving with yogurt.