Chipotle Steak Chili
- 1 1/2 pounds boneless beef shoulder top blade steak (flat iron)
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 2 cups chopped onion
- 1 cup chopped green sweet pepper (2 small)
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 15- to 16-ounce cans kidney beans, pinto beans, and/or black beans, rinsed and drained
- 2 14.5-ounce cans diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 15-ounce can tomato sauce
- 1/2 cup water
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 to 2 teaspoons chopped canned chipotle peppers in adobo sauce
- 1 teaspoon dried basil, crushed
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- Shredded cheddar cheese (optional)
- Trim fat from meat.
- Cut meat into 3/4-inch pieces.
- In a Dutch oven heat oil over medium heat.
- Add meat, half at a time and cook until brown.
- Remove meat, reserving drippings in Dutch oven.
- Add onion, sweet pepper, and garlic to drippings and cook until tender.
- Return meat to Dutch oven.
- Stir remaining ingredients except cheese into meat mixture.
- Simmer, covered, 1 hour, stirring occasionally.
- Top each serving with cheese.