Chilled Tomato Soup With Corn Bread Croutons
- 1 8.5-ounce package corn muffin mix
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 2 14.5-ounce cans diced tomatoes with green pepper, celery, and onion, undrained
- 1/2 of an English cucumber, seeded and coarsely chopped
- 3 green onions, trimmed and coarsely chopped
- 1 cup ice cubes
- 1 medium avocado, halved, pitted, peeled, and sliced
- Assorted toppers (sliced green onion, chopped cucumber, and chili powder) (optional)
- Olive oil
- Preheat oven to 400 F.
- Prepare corn muffin mix according to package directions.
- Spread in lightly greased 13x9x2-inch baking pan.
- Bake for 14 minutes and cool slightly.
- Cut in 1-inch cubes.
- Toss with oil and chili powder.
- Place on baking sheet and toast in oven for 5 minutes.
- In a blender combine undrained tomatoes, cucumber, onions, and ice.
- Cover and blend until nearly smooth.
- Pour soup in bowls.
- Top with avocado and half the croutons (reserve remaining for another use).
- Sprinkle with additional green onion, cucumber, and chili powder.
- Drizzle with olive oil.