- 3 pounds chicken wings, backs, and/or necks
- 3 stalks celery with leaves, cut up
- 2 medium carrots, unpeeled and cut up
- 1 large onion, unpeeled and cut up
- 4 sprigs fresh parsley
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 cloves garlic, unpeeled and halved
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme, sage, or basil, crushed
- 1/2 teaspoon whole black peppercorns or 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 6 cups cold water
- If using wings, cut each wing at joints into three pieces.
- Place chicken pieces in a Dutch oven.
- Add remaining ingredients and simmer, covered, for 2 1/2 hours.
- Remove chicken pieces from Dutch oven.
- Strain stock into a large bowl through two layers of cheesecloth.
- Discard vegetables and seasonings.
- If using the stock while hot, skim off fat, otherwise chill for 6 hours then lift off fat with a spoon.
- Reserve chicken for another use.
- Cover and chill for up to 3 days or freeze for up to 6 months.