Chicken-Matzo Ball Soup
- 1 4- to 5- pound roasting chicken
- 2 1/2 cups water
- 1 1/2 cups sliced celery
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1/2 cup sliced leek
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 cup sliced carrot
- 1 cup peeled, sliced parsnip
- 1 tablespoon snipped parsley
- 1 tablespoon snipped dill or 1/4 teaspoon dried dill weed (optional)
- 30 cooked matzo balls
- Place chicken in an 8- to 10-quart stockpot.
- Add the water, celery, onion, leek, salt, and pepper and simmer, covered, for 1 1/2 hours.
- Add carrot and parsnip and simmer, covered, 30 minutes.
- Remove chicken from pot.
- Remove skin and bones from chicken.
- Chop meat, reserving 3 cups.
- Strain broth through two layers of cheesecloth.
- Discard solids.
- Skim fat from broth.
- Return broth, vegetables, and reserved chicken to pot.
- Add parsley and dill.
- Heat through.
- Serve soup with Matzo Balls.