Chicken And Turkey Sausage Soup
- 1 1/2 cups chopped red and/or green sweet pepper
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 8 skinless, boneless chicken thighs, cut into bite-size pieces
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil (optional)
- 1 pound smoked turkey sausage, cut lengthwise and sliced into 1/2-inch pieces
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme, crushed
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano, crushed
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 4 cups chicken broth
- Place sweet pepper, onion, and celery in a slow cooker.
- In a skillet brown chicken, half at a time, in hot oil over medium heat.
- Place chicken and sausage on top of vegetables in cooker.
- Add remaining ingredients.
- Cover and cook on low for 8 to 9 hours or high for 4 to 4 1/2 hours.
- Skim fat from soup before serving.