Chicken And Garbanzo Bean Soup
- 2 1/2 cups sliced carrot
- 1 15-ounce can garbanzo beans (chickpeas), rinsed and drained
- 1 medium fennel bulb, trimmed and cut into 1/4-inch slices, or 1 1/2 cups sliced celery
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 pound skinless, boneless chicken breast halves or thighs
- 1 tablespoon snipped marjoram or 1 teaspoon dried marjoram, crushed
- 1 tablespoon snipped thyme or 1 teaspoon dried thyme, crushed
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 14-ounce can reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 2 cups water
- 1 cup shredded spinach or escarole
- In a slow cooker combine carrot, beans, fennel, and onion.
- Top with chicken pieces.
- Sprinkle with dried marjoram (if using), dried thyme (if using), and pepper.
- Pour broth and the water over all.
- Cover and cook on low for 6 to 7 hours or on high for 3 to 3 1/2 hours.
- Remove the chicken and shred into bite-size pieces.
- Return chicken to cooker.
- Stir in the spinach, marjoram (if using), and thyme (if using).
- Let stand for 5 minutes before serving.