Beet And Apple Soup With Horseradish Cream
- 8 large beets
- 3 14.5-ounce cans reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1/2 cup chopped sweet onion
- 1/2 cup peeled and chopped potato
- 1 cooking apple, peeled, cored, and chopped
- 2 tablespoons dry sherry or white balsamic vinegar
- Ground black pepper
- 1 8-ounce carton sour cream
- 2 tablespoons prepared horseradish
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- Skillet Beets (optional)
- Peel the beets.
- Cut each into 1-inch pieces.
- In a Dutch oven combine beets, broth, onion, potato, and apple.
- Simmer, covered, for 25 to 30 minutes.
- Transfer beet mixture, half at a time, to a food processor.
- Cover and process until smooth.
- Return pureed mixture to Dutch oven. (Or blend with a handheld immersion blender in Dutch oven.) Stir in sherry.
- Season to taste with salt and black pepper.
- Heat through.
- For horseradish cream, in a bowl combine sour cream, horseradish, and cayenne pepper.
- Stir 1/2 cup of the horseradish cream into hot soup.
- Top each serving with remaining horseradish cream and Skillet Beets.