- 12 ounces beef or lamb stew meat, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 4 14-ounce cans beef broth
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1/2 cup chopped celery
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano or basil, crushed
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 cup frozen mixed vegetables
- 1 14.5-ounce can diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 cup 1/2-inch slices peeled parsnip or 1/2-inch cubes peeled potato
- 2/3 cup quick-cooking barley
- In a Dutch oven brown meat in hot oil.
- Stir in broth, onion, celery, oregano, pepper, garlic, and bay leaf.
- Simmer, covered, for 1 1/2 hours for beef (45 minutes for lamb).
- Stir in remaining ingredients.
- Return to boiling, reduce heat and simmer, covered, 15 minutes.
- Discard bay leaf.