Aromatic Beef Stew With Butternut Squash
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 pound stew beef (round or chuck), cut into chunks
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 tablespoon grated ginger
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 pound peeled cubed butternut squash, cut into 1 1/2-inch cubes (2 1/2 cups)
- 1 14.5-ounce can no-salt-added diced tomatoes
- 1 8-ounce can no-salt-added tomato sauce
- 1 1/2 cups reduced-sodium beef broth
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 3 cups cooked whole wheat couscous
- 1/4 cup sliced almonds, toasted
- 1 to 2 tablespoons chopped parsley
- Heat oil in a saucepan over medium-high heat.
- Add beef and cook until browned on all sides, 5 minutes.
- Transfer meat to plate, leaving juices in saucepan.
- Add onion to pan and cook 6 minutes, stirring often,.
- Add ginger and garlic and cook, stirring, for 1 minute.
- Return beef to pan.
- Stir in remaining ingredients except couscous, almonds and parsley.
- Simmer, covered, for 30 to 35 minutes.
- Serve with couscous.
- Sprinkle with almonds and parsley.