- 1/2 cup finely chopped onion
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 2 medium baking potatoes, peeled and diced
- 2 cups apple cider
- 1 teaspoon snipped thyme or 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme, crushed
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Pinch cayenne pepper
- 1 medium cooking apple, peeled and coarsely chopped
- 1/2 cup milk
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 4 ounces sharp cheddar cheese, shredded (1 cup)
- Apple slices
- Green peppercorns
- In saucepan cook onion in hot butter over medium heat until tender.
- Stir in potatoes, cider, thyme, salt, and cayenne pepper.
- Simmer, covered, 15 minutes.
- Add chopped apple and simmer, covered, 5 minutes.
- In bowl combine milk and flour.
- Stir into soup.
- Cook and stir until bubbly.
- Slowly add cheese, whisking until cheese is melted.
- Top each serving with apple slices and peppercorns.