Aloo Ka Rasa (Spicy Potato-Tomato Soup)
- 1 pound small new potatoes or baby red potatoes, boiled, cooled and peeled
- 1 tablespoon coriander seeds or ground coriander
- Seeds from 1 green cardamom pod, or 1/4 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 2 tablespoons ghee or olive oil
- 1 tablespoon cumin seeds
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1/2 teaspoon asafetida (optional)
- 3 medium Roma tomatoes, diced into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1 tablespoon minced ginger
- 1 small Indian green chile or serrano chile, finely chopped
- 1 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1/4 cup chopped cilantro, for garnish
- Break potatoes into 1/2-inch pieces.
- Set aside.
- In a pot or Dutch oven over low heat, toast the coriander and cardamom seeds, 4 to 5 minutes.
- If using whole spices, transfer them to a spice grinder or mortar and pestle and grind into a powder.
- Set aside.
- In the same pot over medium heat, warm the ghee.
- Once the ghee melts, add the cumin seeds and cook, for 1 minute max.
- Add the bay leaves, turmeric, and asafetida (if using), then immediately add the tomatoes, ginger, and green chile.
- Cook, uncovered, 7 to 10 minutes.
- Add the potatoes, salt, and coriander and cardamom and stir well.
- Add 4 cups water, increase the heat to high, and cook uncovered for 7 to 8 minutes.
- Turn off the heat, cover the pot, and let the soup rest for 10 minutes.
- Serve garnished with the cilantro.