Wisconsin Beer And Cheese Soup
- 1 1/2 cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese, room temperature
- 1 1/4 cups shredded white cheddar cheese, room temperature
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1/2 cup finely chopped onion
- 1/2 cup finely chopped carrot
- 1/4 cup thinly sliced green onion
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon dry mustard
- 5 cups chicken broth
- 1 12-ounce bottle beer
- 1 cup whipping cream
- 1 1/2 cups frozen diced hash brown potatoes
- 1 1/2 cups small broccoli florets
- 10 slices bacon, crisp-cooked, drained, and chopped
- 1/3 cup grated Parmesan or Romano cheese
- 1/2 teaspoon bottled hot pepper sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- In a Dutch oven melt butter over medium heat.
- Add onion, carrot, green onion, and garlic and cook for 8 to 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Stir in flour and dry mustard (mixture will be thick).
- Add broth all at once and cook and stir until bubbly.
- Add beer, cream, potatoes and broccoli.
- Simmer, uncovered, for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Gradually stir in sharp cheddar and white cheddar, stirring after each addition until cheeses are melted.
- Stir in bacon, Parmesan, hot pepper sauce, and Worcestershire sauce.
- Serve immediately.