Winter Woods Chili
- 4 slices bacon
- 3 pounds beef stew meat
- 1 large onion, sliced 1/2 inch thick
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 28-ounce cans whole tomatoes, undrained
- 1 15.5-ounce can navy beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 15.5-ounce can red beans, rinsed and drained
- 2 to 3 tablespoons chili powder
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- Ground black pepper
- Shredded cheddar cheese
- Snipped fresh oregano
- Cooked bacon, chopped up
- In 4- to 6-quart Dutch oven cook bacon and beef, half at a time, over medium heat until beef is brown.
- Drain fat.
- Reduce heat.
- Add onions and half of the garlic and cook and stir until onion is tender.
- Add undrained tomatoes, beans, and 1 tablespoon of the chili powder and simmer, covered, for 1 hour, stirring occasionally.
- Stir in remaining garlic, remaining chili powder, and vinegar.
- Cook, covered, for 1 hour.
- Add enough water for desired consistency.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Top each serving with cheese, oregano, and bacon.