Winter Vegetable Soup
- 6 ounces kielbasa or smoked sausage, halved lengthwise and sliced
- 1/3 cup chopped onion (1 small)
- 2 14-ounce cans chicken broth
- 2 cups water
- 1/2 of a small butternut squash, peeled, seeded, and cubed (1 1/3 cups)
- 1 cup sliced carrot
- 1/8 to 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 15- to 16-ounce can red kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 cup dried ditalini or orzo pasta
- 2 cups baby spinach leaves
- Heat a 4-quart Dutch oven over medium heat.
- Add kielbasa and onion and cook 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add broth, the water, squash, carrot, and pepper and simmer, covered, for 5 minutes.
- Stir in beans and pasta.
- Return to boiling.
- Reduce heat.
- Cover and boil gently 6 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Stir in spinach.
- Serve immediately.