White Bean Soup With Sausage And Kale
- 12 ounces mild Italian sausage links, sliced 1/2 inch thick
- 1/4 cup water
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1 teaspoon bottled minced garlic
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 2 15-ounce cans cannellini (white kidney) beans, rinsed and drained
- 2 14-ounce cans reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1 14.5-ounce can diced tomatoes with basil, garlic, and oregano, undrained
- 4 cups coarsely chopped kale or spinach
- Ground black pepper
- Combine sliced sausage and the water in a skillet.
- Simmer, covered, 10 minutes.
- Uncover and cook 5 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Remove sausage.
- In a saucepan cook onion and garlic in hot oil 5 minutes.
- Stir in beans, broth, and undrained tomatoes.
- Bring to boiling, covered.
- Reduce heat.
- Simmer, covered, for 5 minutes.
- Stir in cooked sausage and kale.
- Simmer, uncovered, 3 minutes.
- Season to taste with pepper.