White Bean And Toasted Cumin Chili
- 2 14.5-ounce cans tomatoes, undrained and cut up
- 1 12-ounce can beer or nonalcoholic beer
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 canned chipotle pepper in adobo sauce, chopped
- 1 tablespoon cumin seeds, toasted and crushed
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 19-ounce cans cannellini (white kidney) beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 1/2 cups peeled, seeded, and coarsely chopped Golden Nugget or acorn squash
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- 1 tablespoon snipped chives
- Whole chives (optional)
- Lime wedges (optional)
- In a slow cooker stir together undrained tomatoes, beer, onion, garlic, chile pepper, cumin seeds, sugar, and salt.
- Stir in beans and squash.
- Cover and cook on low for 9 to 10 hours or on high for 4 1/2 to 5 hours.
- In a bowl stir together sour cream, lime juice, and snipped chives.
- Top each serving with sour cream mixture.
- Garnish with whole chives and lime wedges.