Watermelon Soup With Vegetables
- 1 5- to 6-pound seedless watermelon
- Sugar (optional)
- 3/4 cup finely julienned strips of carrot, zucchini, and/or yellow summer squash
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- Halve melon and scoop out pulp.
- Transfer pulp in batches to a blender and blend until smooth.
- Line a large colander with a double thickness of cheesecloth.
- Strain pulp through cheesecloth, pressing out as much juice as possible.
- Discard pulp.
- Measure 6 cups watermelon juice.
- Add sugar to taste.
- Cover and refrigerate soup until ready to serve.
- Cook vegetables in a small amount of lightly salted boiling water for 2 minutes and drain.
- Transfer to a bowl of ice water to cool and drain again.
- Wrap in plastic wrap and chill in refrigerator until ready to serve.
- To serve, stir balsamic vinegar into juice mixture.
- Ladle into bowls and float strips of vegetables on top.