Warm Spinach Salad With Bacon
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 pound slab or thick-cut bacon, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 large shallot or small red onion, chopped
- 8 cups torn spinach leaves
- 1/4 cup any wine vinegar, or more to taste
- 1 teaspoon Dijon-style mustard, or more to taste
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Put the oil in a skillet over medium heat; when hot, add the bacon and cook, stirring occasionally, until it's crisp and lightly browned, 8 to 12 minutes.
- Add the shallot and cook until it begins to soften, 1 to 2 minutes more.
- Turn the heat to low to keep the mixture warm without further cooking.
- Fill a bowl with hot tap water and let it sit for 1 minute to warm the bowl.
- Pour out the water, dry the inside of the bowl, and put the greens in the bowl.
- Add the vinegar and mustard to the skillet, turn the heat to medium-high, and bring the mixture just to a boil, stirring.
- Taste the dressing and add salt, lots of pepper, and more vinegar or mustard.
- If the dressing looks too thick, add a few drops of water.
- Pour the piping-hot dressing over the greens, toss to wilt the spinach a bit, and serve right away.