Vegetarian Green Chili
- 2 cups long-grain rice
- 1/2 cup chopped green onion
- 6 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 cups chopped green sweet pepper
- 1 1/2 cups chopped celery
- 2 12-ounce bags shelled frozen sweet soybeans (edamame)
- 1 4.5-ounce can chopped green chiles
- 3 cups vegetable broth or reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1 16-ounce jar green salsa (salsa verde)
- 6 cups spinach
- 1/4 cup chopped cilantro
- 3 avocados, pitted, peeled, and chopped
- Plain lowfat yogurt or sour cream (optional)
- Cook rice according to package directions.
- In a Dutch oven cook and stir onion and garlic in hot oil over medium-high heat for 2 minutes.
- Add sweet pepper and celery and cook for 5 minutes.
- Add edamame and green chiles and cook for 5 minutes.
- Add broth and salsa verde and simmer, covered, for 15 minutes.
- Stir in spinach.
- Cook 1 minute.
- Remove from heat.
- Stir in cilantro and two of the chopped avocados.
- Top with the remaining avocado and yogurt.
- Serve with rice.